Thursday, June 16, 2011

PNG - Lifeforms and Snapshots

This is red-hot chili pepper!  In the Philippines, it is called labuyo.  Very powerful and potent spice, it may actually bring tears to your eyes. 

The two security guards at the house - Paul and Matt!  Both really enjoy the M&M peanuts I just gave them.



 Common house lizard that scared the bejezzuss out of me when it crawled on the ground.  Lizards have the innate biological ability to grow their tails back when it's cut off, a process called autotomy. 

 This is a picture of the flower called sampaguita in the Philippines.  It is as a matter of fact Philippine's national flower.  Very aromatic and sweet smelling...

 I forgot what the natives call this fruit here, but, yet again, in the Philippines, it is called guyabano.  This is actually the neighbor's tree and fruit, but it is crossing over to our side, so the guards tell me they will get pick it up for me as soon as it is ripe.  Juicy, succulent, and sweet white meat, but be careful of the seeds. 

 My Filipino friends will probably laugh and remember Mask Rider Black because that was what came to my mind when I came across this green grasshopper. 

This picture was taken when I attended the company's launch of a study program that they piloted.  Dr. Graham Low is the Medical Director of one of the clinics I am working with.  Elizabeth Gande is an Australian taught and licensed nurse but a native of PNG, and is one of the company's Program Officers.  Currently, her work involves community based health care and clinic based program care.  I am helping her out with the latter one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment