Monday, August 8, 2011

Mid-Assignment Deliverables Getting Done

07-Aug-2011

          It is now August and the days are passing by with a few major deliverables for the GHF program getting done and over with.   Measurable results from the training sessions and formal presentations I did most recently are yet to be seen.  Most of the reviews and comments are glowing however, with most of the staff thanking yours truly for bringing the topics and co-facilitating the training.  To recap, there was the 2-day training on Occupational Health and Safety, Infection Control and Standard Precautions, Bloodborne Pathogens, Waste Management, and Environmental Health.  A week after, a training program was also given for the Community Outreach Volunteers and Field Support Officers on HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis as well as a simplified and “toned-down” version of Infection Control in the Community.  Last week, we did another 2-day program for the clinicians, case management team, and FSOs.  This time, we facilitated training sessions on Family Planning, Contraception, and Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV. 
          The last bit was specifically challenging since contraception and family planning are not really my strongest points in healthcare.  I can stand my ground on the most basic premise of condom use, lubricants, and biological sterilization.  Needless to say, I also had to re-learn and browse up again on the principles of contraception, from anatomy/physiology, down to intended target population, mechanisms of action, how to’s, and contraindications.  In the beginning of the training session, I told the participants the disclaimer that we are all learning in the actual program.  I surely did mention that I will be relying on the expertise and inputs of the clinicians who have a greater deal of experience in the topics for the greater benefit of the group.  Thankfully, we had two physicians and a nurse midwife in our midst.  But, fairly speaking, I was able to re-learn the various methods in time and thus hold my ground on the training sessions.  In fact, I was able to share with the group some literature review tidbits concerning pregnancy in HIV serodiscordant and seroconcordant couples.  I learned that most of the contraception methods that are routinely available in the West are only beginning to gain popularity and acceptance in PNG.  There are the oral contraceptive pills, IUDs, implants, and even female condoms.  Choices such as Mirena, Nuva-Ring, and Ortho-Evra patch are still foreign and alien.  Without a doubt, the most common, widely accepted, and ever popular latex male condom is still the prevalent choice for many.  Having said that, I capitalize on the important message that condoms “kills two birds in one stone” and offers a dual protection and advantage: preventing unintended pregnancy as well as preventing sexually transmitted infections and diseases. 
          These past few weeks have been extremely busy in terms of work.  There were a couple of days when I actually brought work home.  Back in the States, I usually do this anyway, so it is nothing new for me.  I also am aware that this habit is discouraged since it disrupts the work-life balance.  In essence work stuff should be left at work and never be brought back home.  I tried to instill and live by this notion ever since I came to PNG.  Other than the occasional reading of flyers and pamphlets on service delivery programs, I generally leave the bulk of work related stuff at the office.  Only of late did I actually do some training programs and presentations in the comfort of my apartment.  It is such a relief to finish the second training session on Friday.  I have a bit of a breather now and some time to do my mid-assignment report to be submitted back to the company.  

1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    I am at the end of an eighteen day diabetes study at Pfizer- and Dana says hi! I have been reading all of your posts and look forward to hearing more about your adventures when you come home. Did you hear about the earthquake in Virginia? I was lying down on my bed this afternoon and it was actually shaking due to the tremors we felt up here in New Haven. Good luck with everything.



    Bill Borg

    ReplyDelete