Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Budua Haus - Where I Am Staying

Simple Bedroom, thank goodness with a bed & pillows.  I am not using the blanket that is found folded at the bottom of the bed, otherwise, I will roast and get fried in my own fat and sweat...  he he he...

                                           
This is quite a luxury - to have a sink, standing shower with hot water, working/flushing toilet, and rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom.  Papuans living in the settlements and tenements have a communal latrine for families to use.   

                                              Closet space and windows with glass jalousies. 

Again, luxuriously living here with a TV, fridge, hot plate stove, and a microwave!  That is a Citronella candle in the middle of the dining table, guard against the Anopheles and Aedes egypti...

The washer and dryer are communal.  Tom and I share this.  I yet have to use it.  The space to the right is used for ironing. 

The view of the house from the outside.  It is gated and with security.  The lawn garden is heavily manicured to attract expatriates like me. For the most part, the house and security staff are liking me a lot (thankfully).  They say I am rather very friendly and cheery.  I gave them M&M peanuts and they went ga-ga!!!

 The water is treated so thankfully enough, I dont have to buy bottled water, because it is so expensive here!  And just in case, I still have my fluoroquinolones and macrolides to use...

Power goes out everyday.  Back-up generators are in place.  Unlike in the US, electricity in PNG are bought at the store, the numbers are crunched in the meters, and that is how power is supplied.  For starters, my power amount initially was purchased at 100 Kina (roughly about $40) and may last me about two weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. looks like some pretty luxurious living!!! glad to hear you are settling in and have had a warm welcome! can't wait to hear more as things progress! -Dana

    ReplyDelete