Thursday, May 19, 2011

Some Pictures from PNG

 Cartoon impression of my trip courtesy of Mr. Gary Draper (aka "Uncle Gary").  I remember him telling and reminding me to not let this happen!!!  :-)

Green Tree Frog - unsure whether its supposed to be poisonous or not but I dont think now is the right time to find out, dont you think? 

   Star Fruit - supposed to be very citrusy and sour.  Eaten with salt.  The power of imagery, as I am salivating right now that I am thinking about it!!!

   Guava, or bayabas in the Philippine common tongue.  High in ascorbic acid.  The leaves can also be boiled and make a tea out of, supposedly possessin some powerful wound healing abilities.  I just remember the day when I was 13, the leaves and its tea and I had some "quality time" together with wound healing. 

   Bananas - too bad it is not ripe yet.  I need something with my peanut butter and bread.

                                             Paw - paw (poh-poh) or papayas

                                            Pineapple and Alex (security)

  I was so surprised to see this tree here.  In the Philippines, it is called aratilis.  Small, sweet, totally harmless.  But according to folks here, it is not eaten here at all. 

 In the Philippines, this is atis.  Many seeds, fibrous fruit, milky white inside.  I dare not get one from the tree here though. 

In memory of one good colleague and friend - Scott Ingraham, aka as "Scooter".  The shirt I am wearing was mass produced and printed for him and his family.  I hope Rose Zambrano Ingraham gets to see this picture.  RIP Buddy! 

3 comments:

  1. Sarap gumawa ng turon or banana cue for those saba. I just cooked tinolang manok using sayote as an alternative for green papaya. Ang mahal kasi ng papaya dito parang ginto, diyan ang dami pala. Yes, aratiles is eaten but let it ripen para extra sweet. Atis is my favorite especially if they are almost juicy and seeds are tearing apart. But be careful, daming red ants niyan guarding their predators. Well, good to hear your new discoveries, I like your green tree frog, it makes life very alive. Enjoy and have fun eating those fruits and we are looking forward for your return. I will be in Manila around July-August to pick up baby Geff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you great pictures! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back here at the CRU for another study. I enjoyed looking at these pictures as well as reaing about your adventures halfway around the world. You are providing a valuable service to the people of PNG and I wish you the very best in your time over there.


    Bill Borg

    ReplyDelete